M. JERMAINE WATSON
I am the founding shareholder of M. J. Watson & Associates, P.C. I primarily assist clients with matters related to commercial bankruptcies and creditors’ rights. Prior to founding this firm, I was an associate attorney in the Dallas office of a large Texas-based law firm for nearly five years. I have experience counseling commercial bankruptcy clients in the energy, healthcare, construction, transportation, and banking industries.
Although my practice focuses primarily on Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganizations and commercial litigation, I also counsel small and mid-sized companies on general corporate matters and transactions. I also represent the constituencies and interests of public and private institutions in civil and labor/employment matters before state and federal courts and administrative tribunals.
SELECTED LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- Served as counsel to a multimillion-dollar healthcare company in an out of court distressed stock sale.
- Served as counsel to a federal agency in a complex chapter 7 bankruptcy proceeding.
- Served as counsel to a chapter 11 debtor in the successful sale of a multimillion dollar asset.
- Served as counsel to an entrepreneur in the successful discharge of over $8 million in business debts.
- Served as counsel to an entrepreneur in the successful discharge of over $1 million in business debts.
- Served as counsel to an oil and gas operating company in its chapter 11 proceeding.
- Served as counsel to a coal mining company in the successful sale of its assets in a chapter 11 proceeding.
- Served as counsel to an oil and gas services company in a chapter 11 proceeding and successfully reorganized the company to repay creditors.
- Served as counsel to an online retailer in a chapter 11 proceeding and successfully reorganized the company to repay creditors.
- J.D., University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2003)
- M.B.A., Finance, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (2003)
- B.A., cum laude, Elon University (1999)
- Judicial Law Clerk, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri (St. Louis, MO), The Honorable Kathy A. Surratt-States (2003-2007)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Western, and Eastern Districts of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
- State Courts of Texas
- State Courts of Missouri
- Texas Rising Star (2014)
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL/COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Dallas Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Bankruptcy & Commercial Law Section
- Texas Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section, Council Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Missouri Bar Association
- The Dallas Business Club
- J.L. Turner Legal Association
- Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Incorporated, Arlington – Grand Prairie Chapter
Interested in discussing your legal needs? Give me a call at (214) 965-8240.